Friday, 17 February 2017

myriad memories + oh, new york























































There is an electricity to this city that no photograph can truly illustrate. I was surprised to how different this island felt to London. I was both literally and mentally thousands of miles from home... From the haunted stance of a New Yorker on the subway, to the raging car horns providing an accurate sound track to every street, I was swept in to this chaotic and beautifully concrete city. These photos are just a fraction of my first experience in America. It was honestly surreal standing in the same places that have adorned my British TV screen for eighteen years.

Statue of Liberty, Empire State, the MET, the Guggenheim, Times Square, Brooklyn, Soho, Greenwich Village, Grand Central Station and the New York Public Library = just a few of the iconic locations I explored. With a bitingly cold winter chill and a peeking sun, I couldn't have been happier. I overcame horrible anxiety the first night and was able to fully embrace the city that never sleeps. After consuming enough burgers, bacon and latte's to fuel 10 people, it was time to wave goodbye out of the tiny aeroplane window to a twinkling Manhattan. And yet, there really is no place like home.

New York, you were magical but I think my loyalty belongs to London and I have never been prouder of my country's history. Thank you for the memories.

Keep exploring,
-J

6 comments:

  1. this is so exciting!!!! Makes me miss this city so much, I hope you had a great time. I love the photos and the way you edited them, the words are equally as beautiful x

    https://lovefromtasha.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. these pictures are incredible - making me want to buy plane tickets and escape gcses (as if there wasn't already enough incentive to do that!). so glad you had a good time & can't wait to see more posts soon xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely understand wanting to escape GCSE's... Hope you got to hop on a plane this summer :)

      Delete
  3. Wau Jessie, you photos are amazing! Definately love the ones on the bridge and the empire state building! I'm so jealous, actually I didn't really want to USA until now, this looks so fantastic and really different than London or Amsterdam indeed. Totally get you about being proud of your own city and feeling more at home there, logical. Hope you had a wondeful trip and thank you for all the amazing pictures and sharing your memories! Love your blog. Xx Sylke

    sylkieway.nl
    I'm ssylke & sylkieway on instagram, perhaps you remember me hahaha I love your style

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg I do remember you on Instagram! New York felt incredibly different to London, my goodness... You're so welcome - thank YOU for the kind words :)

      Delete